Humidity plays an integral role in the overall health and performance of your roof and your home in general. Local roofing contractor Kroll Construction discusses this further and shares ways you can minimize humidity’s negative effects.
Effects of Humidity on Your Roof
A dry home with minimal indoor humidity promotes a healthy roof and attic, while a home with excessive moisture and humidity can put your roof at risk of suffering the effects of water damage. Here’s what can happen when indoor humidity isn’t controlled at acceptable levels.
- Attic Issues — When thinking about roof health, many homeowners forget about their attic. You need to be concerned about your attic’s condition as it can reveal underlying roof problems. The lack of attic insulation can cause rising indoor air to condense once it reaches the attic. If not addressed right away, the resulting moisture can cause mold to form on floor joists, rafters and other wooden roof structures. Moisture can also weaken the plywood roof sheathing and allow rot to develop.
- Extensive Water Damage — Water damage to roofing systems isn’t only caused by rain spells or thunderstorms. Outdoor air, as it turns out, can be filled with moisture, especially when it’s hot and sunny. Combined with excess heat, the outdoor humidity can seep through your roof’s openings, causing small leaks and moisture damage to develop.
How to Protect Your Home Against Humidity
Fortunately, there are ways for you to control humidity to protect your roofing system from excess moisture. Here are some of them:
- Proper Roofing Ventilation — Having proper roof ventilation is a must. With the right amount of intake and exhaust vents, you minimize the effects of humidity to your roof by encouraging air circulation in the attic.
- Timely Repairs — Ignoring or delaying repairs can lead to bigger and costlier repairs in the future.
- Dehumidifiers — Investing in a dehumidifier for your home is a good idea. With it, you not only control your home’s indoor humidity but also reduce the possibility of mold growing in your attic.
Kroll Construction is one of the leading roofing contractors in Detroit and the surrounding communities. We are committed to using only top-quality roofing materials and providing only top-notch workmanship to ensure your roof keeps your home and your family protected from the elements. Call us at (888) 338-6340 or fill out our contact form for a free in-home consultation and estimate.